Monday, December 1, 2008

fall into the gap...

Today was my first day at Gap Inc. under the Old Navy Brand. Let me just say I am OBSESSED! I knew Gap started in nor-cal, south San Fran to be exact, but that was basically all i knew. Above is the very first gap store, opened in 1969 by don and doris fisher. If you can make out the signs under the funky awnings they say "Levi's, Records & Tapes." And that's how this awesome company got started...then in 1983 gap bought banana republic which before transforming into what the brand means today was a SAFARI clothing store...weird right?

Here is a picture of don and doris back in '69. Today i got a little star struck, because the fishers own the folsom street building that our orientation was in and DON was EATING in the cafeteria like he was just one of the employees! Kind of cool!!!
AND...as a little "welcome" gift I got this awesome book, Individuals: Portraits From the Gap Collection It is a coffee table book, going through the years of gap celeb photo shoots with photographers like annie leibovitz, including the one below of my girl love Zooey Deschanel taken by david shapiro in 2006!!


I am so happy to work for such a wonderful company, with such a cool history and a bright future ;)

10 comments:

Holly said...

my mom has a safari vest from banana republic from way back when!

glad your first day went well :)

Nikki Sanchez said...

YAY! that's awesome, I'm so happy for you :)

Song of Style said...

wow, i am so jealous of u!!

Unknown said...

Ashley!! You've been brainwaashed =)

♥ Marta ♥ said...

I love gap .. :)

Blicious said...

congrats!!!

Leslie said...

So glad to hear that you had a great first day. Enjoy the week!

Angela said...

I'm sure you're gonna get all kinds of awesome employee discounts!

Lucky you! That place looks like so much FUN!

mikki said...

I so remember the old Banana Republic safari clothing catalogs (early 80's)! I almost forgot about that. I'm glad you like your new company!

Unknown said...

david shapiro didn't take that picture. he painted it! it's a watercolor.